6 Easy Ways to Reduce Tarnish on Silver Jewellery
Silver tarnish ranges in colour from light grey, brassy yellow or brown to extremely dark black & appears as small or large patches or a film that can cover the entire surface of your jewellery.
Tarnish on Sterling Silver is extremely common & occurs when the Silver is directly exposed to air & in particular moisture.
So it is inevitable that your Silver jewellery will develop tarnish at some stage.
However the good news is that you can significantly reduce both the amount & rate at which tarnish occurs by following these 6 Easy Tips to Reduce Tarnish on Silver Jewellery:
- Store your Silver jewellery away from sunlight in a cool, dry, enclosed space for eg, jewellery box, cupboard or drawer.
- Keep your Silver pieces in an air container or ziplock bag with anti tarnish tissue paper or anti tarnish strips for eg: 3M tarni shields.
- Place a piece of chalk in your jewellery box to absorb the moisture.
- Apply hairsprays, perfumes, lotions & make-up before putting on Silver Jewellery.
- Don’t leave Silver jewellery in the bathroom as the humidity & moisture in the air will significantly accelerate the tarnish process.
- Where available, purchase Argentium Sterling Silver jewellery because unlike traditional Sterling Silver, Argentium Silver has anti tarnish properties which means it will not tarnish as quickly or as much as traditional Silver.
I hope you find these 6 easy tips helpful because let’s be honest, wouldn’t you rather enjoy wearing rather than cleaning your silver jewellery?!