Frequently Asked Questions
What is Argentium Sterling Silver?
- Whereas Traditional Sterling Silver is an alloy of Silver & copper, Argentium Sterling Silver is an alloy of Silver, Copper & Germanium.
- When alloyed with Sterling Silver, the addition of the chemical element Germanium produces a type of Sterling Silver which has a number of important benefits to both the wearer & the environment, such as:
Longer Lasting Shine
- With to the addition of the chemical element Germanium, Argentium Sterling Silver has tarnish resistant properties which means, compared to traditional Sterling Silver it will not tarnish as quickly or as heavily.
- If over time Argentium Silver does develop tarnish, it is comparatively much easier to clean or polish off than the heavy black tarnish that develops on traditional Sterling Silver Jewellery.
- When traditional Sterling Silver is used to make a piece of jewellery & is heated with a flame, it produces firescale on the Silver surface.
- Firescale shows up on the surface of Silver as a grey shadow.
- To cover firescale, Silver jewellery is often Silver or Rhodium Plated to produce the illusion of a smooth, blemish free surface finish.
- This plated surface however is quite thin & will wear off & need re-plating after a certain amount of wear.
- Due the composition of Argentium Sterling Silver, firescale does not occur when Argentium Silver is heated with a torch.
- Therefore Jewellery made from Argentium Silver doesn’t require plating which makes it a much more environmentally friendly precious metal alloy compared to Traditional Sterling Silver.
- Due it’s chemical composition, Argentium Sterling Silver has a brighter Silver colour than Traditional Sterling Silver, which gives it a lovely Silvery glow.
Responsible & Ethical
- Unlike traditional Sterling Silver, Argentium Sterling Silver guarantees the traceability of its raw silver which means you know where & how it’s been mined.
- It is also produced using only recycled silver which means it has is less impact on the environment.
- Due to it’s composition & strict manufacture guidelines, Argentium Sterling Silver is a purer Silver alloy compared to traditional Sterling Silver.
- This is especially good news for people who have sensitive skin or those who have experienced a skin reaction when wearing traditional Sterling Silver.
I Don’t Know my Ring Size!
- The most reliable & accurate method is to visit your local jeweller & ask them to measure your finger size.
- If visiting a jeweller is not possible, here’s a guide all about How to Measure Your Finger
- Credit Card via PayPal (with or without your own Paypal account)
- Direct Bank Deposit/ Bank Wire (Australian Residents only)
- Melanie Hay Jewellery is sent via domestic Australia Post Registered Parcel Post (signature required).
- Depending on your region, delivery time is between 3 – 5 days.
- Insurance, Express Post and Courier deliveries can also be arranged at the customers expense.
- International Orders are sent by Australia Post International Parcel Post.
- Delivery time: 2 – 3weeks
- Total Cost is determined by weight & size after order is placed.
Do you Gift Wrap?
- Yes we do!
- All orders arrive wrapped in tissue & in an elegant fabric Tote – ready for gift giving.
- For extra protection during shipping all orders are sent in a small cardboard box & plenty of bubble wrap.
- All Melanie Hay Jewellery is Guaranteed for Faulty Workmanship and Material Defects for 12months.
- This does not include exposure of stones or precious metals to chemicals or extreme physical or environmental conditions (eg: saltwater or chlorine pools, industrial workplaces, the Gym etc).
What is Your Returns Policy?
- For stock items, if you are unhappy with your order for any reason please contact Melanie Hay Jewellery by via email or phone (0402 701702) within 7 days of receiving order to arrange an exchange or refund.
- Custom Made pieces are made to the customers specifications & as a result cannot be returned unless they are Faulty.
- Rings are custom made to the size specified by the customer – it is customers responsibility to provide the correct ring size.
- If an incorrect size is given, the ring may be returned for re-sizing.
- Re-sizing is charged at $25 per ring.
- All returned items must be in original condition & gift packaging, and are to be sent to within 5 days of refund request.
- All Return postage and shipping charges are the responsibility of the purchaser.
What Materials Do you Use?
- All Melanie Hay Jewellery is made from Argentium Sterling Silver sheet & wire.
- Some pieces also include 14kt Gold Filled components, Freshwater Pearls & precious stones.
Do you Custom Make Pieces?
- Yes I do.
- Most pieces from the Melanie Hay Jewellery Range can be custom made to suit for eg: earring and pendant shapes can be made bigger or smaller and Pearl colours may be substituted for others.
- If you have a specific idea for a piece of custom made jewellery, I am more than happy to have a look at your pictures or sketches and if it’s within my scope of work, provide a quote.
- Please Note I don’t:
- set customers own stones
- do setting repairs
- buy or sell gemstones other than those used in my Collections.
- buy 2nd hand, estate or antique jewellery